New Accessibility Initiatives
With the support of the Community Foundation of Greater Peterborough and the help of the Peterborough Council for Persons with Disabilities, the choir is working to make music more accessible to more people. Here are a few things the choir is undertaking.
- Plan Your Visit — This new page on our website will be of help to all. It gives directions to our venues (by car and by public transit) and details about parking, including the number and location of accessible parking spots. Also outlined is information about accessibility within the venues: e.g., the locations of accessible washrooms and quiet rooms, which seating best accommodates wheelchairs, and what arrangements can be made for support animals. Any initiatives that offer a discount on tickets are also listed. (Visit the Plan Your Visit webpage.)
- Relaxed Performances — A Singers’ relaxed performance delivers the same excellent choral experience but in a less formal setting and with enhanced accommodations for those with special needs. For example, there would be a quiet room for those wanting to take a “sensory” break, and wheelchair-accessible seating would be easily arranged. The first relaxed performance was Soul II: Roots and Rights at Calvary Church on February 23, 2019. (Learn more about the relaxed performances initiative.)
- Visual Story Guides to Prepare People for Visiting Venues — These guides cover purchasing tickets (and receiving complimentary tickets for support persons), getting to the concert by car and public transit, what you will experience getting to your seat (including which entrances are accessible), what the seating and other arrangements are inside the venue, what the concert will be like, where accessible washrooms and quiet rooms are and when to expect intermission, and how to navigate leaving the venue. Included are maps, photographs, and floor plans of the concert area.
- Video Guides to Venues— Two video guides with subtitles are available to help all access our venues:
- Ongoing Website Accessibility Updates—These will take more time as they involve a partial redesign of the site. We are beginning by adding alternative text to all images newly posted online and using more descriptive links for patrons to follow.